Indulge your passion for art, history, and culture here at Loudoun County, VA, where you’ll find a wide range of landmarks, museums, galleries, and art events to keep you occupied for days.
Leesburg Arts & Cultural District
The county seat has long been considered Loudoun’s cultural hub with a high concentration of historic buildings and landmarks, including:
- Loudoun Museum – Learn about Northern Virginia’s rich history at the Loudoun Museum, which offers tours, exhibits, private events, and informal programming for small educational groups. The museum tells the country’s unique story through photos, letters, maps, memorabilia, and various artifacts to spark your interest. They also host seasonal events and traveling exhibits throughout the year.
- Morven Park – The park grounds feature a centuries-old Greek Revival-style mansion filled with antiques and paintings that date back to the 16th century. It also houses the Winmill Carriage Museum, which showcases a collection of horse-drawn carriages, and the Museum of Hounds & Hunting of North America, which contains artifacts and memorabilia that offer a glimpse into the history of fox hunting in Northern Virginia.
- Oatlands Historic House & Gardens – A site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and National Historic Landmark, this former plantation now serves as an events and recreational venue that also offers historical and educational programs to guests.
There are several structures on the grounds, with the highlight being the Federal-style mansion that served as a country home to the original property owners, George Carter and Edith Eustis.
- Dodona Manor – A National Historic Landmark, this Federal-style home belonged to former Chief of Staff to the Army and Nobel Peace Prize winner Gen. George C. Marshall. It houses the George C. Marshall International Center, which celebrates the life and work of the home’s former resident through photo exhibits and educational programs.
- Historic Downtown Leesburg – The original town center was founded in 1758 and continues to offer memorable shopping, dining, and entertainment with an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants.
You’ll also find arts and cultural venues like the Loudoun Museum, Loudoun Street Studios, and Medlin Art Gallery, just to name a few.
Historic Downtown hosts Leesburg First Fridays, a community event that promotes local businesses.
- Loudoun Spring Farm Tour – Learn about the county’s agricultural heritage and rural past through this annual tour, which helps connect consumers with farmers and other food producers at the beginning of the growing season.
Middleburg Historic Inns and Museums
Middlesburg is also home to historic buildings, several galleries, and the National Sporting Library and Museum:
- The Red Fox Inn & Tavern – This rustic property brings you 22 unique rooms, suites, and cottages. Built in 1728, the inn comprises five buildings containing artifacts and additions that date all the way back to the 1800s. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a wonderful example of Colonial Revival and Federal-style architecture in Virginia.
- National Sporting Library and Museum – NSLM was founded in 1954 and harbors a valuable collection of rare books and fine art with horsemanship, polo, hunting, flat racing, and Northern Virginia wildlife as subjects. Located on a six-acre campus, the museum offers educational programming and family activities throughout the year.
- The Byrne Gallery – Come to the gallery for rotating exhibits featuring the works of local and national artists. The proprietors also offer art consulting services for those who want to expand their fine art collections and acquire exclusive art pieces.
Western Loudoun Art and Studio Tour Artists
This annual tradition features over 50 Loudoun County, VA artists, who welcome guests to their studios for exhibits and discussions about their works. Artists are able to sell their artworks and wares in a studio setting while attendees get to discover and interact with practicing artists.
Previous tours have featured paintings, drawing, prints, quilts, ceramics, pottery, woodwork, and jewelry by some of Loudoun’s most skilled artists.
Founded in September 2017, the Loudoun Artisan Trail Tour introduces guests to artists offering art demonstrations, exhibits, and live music. The tour features 16 agri-artisan sites, studios, wineries, and breweries with paintings, sculptures, ceramics, jewelry, wine, beer, mead, and lavender products for sale. Other points of interest on the county-wide artisan trail include Town Hall and the Train Station.
With over 30 years of experience, the Wicker Homes Group helps buyers and sellers achieve their real estate goals in Northern Virginia. Our team would be more than happy to assist you in Loudoun County, VA and the surrounding communities.
You can message us here. You can also contact the team at 571.201.4997 and Info(at)WickerHomes(dotted)com. We provide valuable tips and advice on Loudoun County, VA real estate in our VLOG channel.