Homes for Sale in Sterling, VA
Situated along the banks of the Potomac River, the unincorporated town of Sterling, VA combines high-tech modernity with old-country charm. Made up of several tight-knit residential communities, this is where you can find romantic, tree-lined streets and a wide range of recreational activities.
Only 30 miles away from the nation’s capital, Sterling is perfect for those who want to live in a tranquil neighborhood close to nature while still having easy access to metropolitan comforts and amenities.
Interested in moving to this gorgeous bedroom community? Continue reading our community guide below, which has everything you need to know about finding homes for sale in Sterling, VA:
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Table of Contents:
- Welcome to Sterling, VA!
- What to expect from its local real estate market
- Homes for sale in Sterling VA
- Living in Sterling, VA
- Make Sterling, VA your new home today!
Welcome to Sterling, VA!
Sterling is a residential and commercial area located in the easternmost part of Loudoun County, Virginia. Over the past few years, this area has become a dynamic community where state-of-the-art data centers and shopping malls coexist harmoniously with idyllic suburban neighborhoods and historic parks.
Before its urban development, “Old Sterling” used to be an active industrial and agricultural center. In the 1800s, acres of large farms used to sit on what is now known as Sterling Park. The arrival of the railroad soon changed the area’s main industry from agricultural to commercial businesses, the concentration of which was around Railroad Avenue (called Ruritan Road today).
Sterling also became a favorite summer destination for Washington D.C. residents, with its romantic countryside scenery, numerous barrooms, and a wide range of outdoor recreational activities. However, its location between Herndon Heights and Ashburn made competition tough, and the advent of improved highways and automobiles caused tourists to bypass the town around the early 1900s.
Every place has its ups and downs. For Sterling, two things guaranteed its upward trajectory into the present: the reformation of Church Road and the construction of the Dulles International Airport. As Loudoun’s first commuter development, the area has been upgraded with urban convenience and amenities while still remaining true to its pastoral roots and small-town character.
What to expect from its local real estate market
Whether you’re buying your first home or a veteran of home ownership, you know that purchasing a home is a major financial investment. It’s wise to know as much information as you can about the local market to make sure your investment prospers.
To help you in your search for homes for sale in Sterling, VA, here are major real estate trends to watch out for:
- A diverse range of housing options. Single-family homes take up most of the housing stock in Sterling but there’s also a substantial number of condominiums, apartments, and townhomes available on the market. The area’s location between America’s North and South, as well as its deep history and varied geography, has given birth to architecturally diverse neighborhoods. Although Colonial and Colonial Revival tend to be the most dominant architectural style in Sterling, you can also find homes with Federal, Bungalow, Queen Anne, Greek Revival, Cape Cod, Craftsman, and Italianate influences.
- Great investment potential. Owning a Sterling property is a wise long-term investment. Loudoun County has continued to maintain its AAA rating from major bond rating agencies such as Moody’s, Fitch Ratings, and Standard & Poor. This is an important indicator of the county’s solid financial management and diversified economy. Moreover, this proves that it is a stable real estate market to invest in. Typical home values in Sterling also rose by as much as 68.4% from $351,000 to $591,000 in the past decade.
- A competitive housing market. Although Virginia’s real estate market is showing signs of cooling down after the pandemic-induced buying frenzy in 2020 and 2021, it continues to be a strong seller’s market, according to the Virginia Association of Realtors. Loudoun County, in particular, is one of the top 15 local markets in the state, with 35.3% of its closed sales staying on the market for three days or less during the first quarter of 2022. Given the fast turnover of homes for sale in Sterling, VA, it’s crucial to work with one of the top real estate teams in Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic Region to ensure higher chances of completing a successful and hassle-free home-buying endeavor here.
Homes for sale in Sterling VA
Are you a parent looking for the perfect house that can fit a growing family, an older adult looking for a peaceful neighborhood to spend your retirement, or a young professional who likes convenience but not the hustle and bustle of city living?
In Sterling, there’s a home for every kind of taste and lifestyle. Here are some of the most dominant property types in this town’s housing market:
Single-family residential homes
Most of the single-family homes in Sterling’s real estate market have up to an acre of land, 3-5 bedrooms, 4-6 baths, and a variety of amenities. Expect features such as:
- A sun-filled, open floor plan with hardwood flooring
- A foyer and separate dining room
- Chef-grade kitchen with state-of-the-art appliances
- Built-in cabinetry and lots of storage space
- Amenities such as recreation rooms, home offices, and furnished dens or basements
- Outdoor features such as an expansive deck or porch area, expert landscaping, an in-ground pool or jacuzzi, and a private driveway and garage
Luxury homes for sale in Sterling, VA are well worth their high price point, considering their exquisite custom architecture, premier location, and access to first-class community amenities.
Privacy and tranquility are defining characteristics of these homes. Most of them are nestled within wooded areas or by the waterfront, providing homeowners with gorgeous views of the natural landscape and direct access to various outdoor recreational activities.
Moreover, many luxury homes are situated in exclusive gated communities that offer resort-like facilities such as award-winning golf courses, tennis courts, fitness centers, community clubhouses, and more.
A townhouse is a great option for homeowners who prefer to do less work when it comes to maintenance. In Sterling, townhome living can provide you with three advantages: access to an array of amenities and services, a sense of community, and a convenient location.
Townhouses usually come with their own communal amenities, such as pools, fitness centers, neighborhood parks and playgrounds, BBQ pits, and more. The community HOA also takes care of maintaining these facilities on top of providing additional security and utility services such as pest control, snow and trash removal, and HVAC inspections.
Additionally, townhomes have shared walls that can cultivate a sense of community and camaraderie with other neighbors. Townhouse developments tend to be in central or convenient locations as well, usually near shopping centers, public transportation hubs, and mixed-use commercial areas such as Church Road and Dulles Town Center.
Ready to find your dream home, but don’t know where to start? Start your home-buying journey in Sterling, VA by looking for homes for sale in these great neighborhoods:
- Cascades. This more than 2,500-acre planned community is where you’ll find over 6,500 homes, 25 play areas, 15 tennis courts, 5 community centers, 5 swimming pools, and an extensive trail network. It is one of the three main neighborhoods that comprise the Potomac Falls Community. Residents have everything they need within a short driving distance, from groceries and shopping at the Cascades Marketplace to booking tee time at the community’s own 18-hole golf course.
- Countryside. This subdivision located between the Potomac River and Route 7 occupies around 2.6 square miles of land and consists of 2,540 homes. As its name implies, this community is best known for its arcadian beauty and outdoor recreational facilities. It is home to wooded neighborhoods and a wide network of paved paths and hiking trails. Nature parks such as the Algonkian Regional Park and Horsepen Run Countryside Nature Preserve are also easily accessible from here.
- Lowes Island. Located along the eastern corner of Loudoun County, this exclusive community is built around the Trump National Golf Club, formerly known as Lowes Island Country Club. Ranked by Niche as one of the top 20 Best Suburbs to Buy a House in Virginia in 2022, Lowes Island is a peaceful country club community that provides its residents with great community services, highly rated public schools, and scenic views of the Potomac River and Seneca Park.
- Sugarland Run. This planned community covers over 2 square miles, 1.12% of which is water. While Sterling is famous for its colonial-style architecture, Sugarland Run stands out with its California contemporary designs. Homeowners also get to enjoy a variety of amenities, including a community center, an outdoor community swimming pool, a fishing lake (Willow Lake), and over 26 miles of walking paths.
Living in Sterling, VA
Sterling is home to a warm and welcoming community. Ranked as one of the Top 20 Most Diverse Suburbs in Virginia in 2022, Sterling has a wealth of activities and opportunities for everyone. So, whether you’re an aspiring business owner, an avid wildlife enthusiast, or a parent who just wants to raise their kids in a healthy and friendly environment, this town is the perfect place to put down roots.
Here’s a glimpse of what life is like for a Sterling homeowner and resident:
Economy and career opportunities
As a part of Loudoun County, Sterling opens a myriad of opportunities for business owners, investors, and professionals. Loudoun played a big role in propelling Virginia to first place in CNBC’s list of America’s Top States for Business. The county has formed a solid economic base by focusing on providing its residents with quality education, great quality of life, and a healthy and inclusive working environment.
Moreover, Loudoun County has several business and financial incentives that can help you start, relocate, or expand a business in Sterling. This includes the Virginia Jobs Investment Program, the New Jobs Program, the Small Business New Jobs Program, numerous sales and use tax exemptions, and more.
Schools and educational institutions
Sterling is serviced by Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS), which is the third largest school division in the Commonwealth of Virginia. LCPS is a highly rated school district, ranking 5th in Niche.com’s list of Best School Districts in Virginia 2022. It has an average graduation rate of 92% and has one of the best educational programs in the country.
Some of the top private schools in the state are also located near Sterling, such as The Madeira School, BASIS Independent McLean, Pinnacle Academy, Fairfax Christian School, and Loudoun School for Advanced Studies.
For Sterling, providing a healthy and well-balanced lifestyle to its residents is a priority. Part of that is having a diverse selection of recreational activities to choose from. Here are some activities you can try out:
- Connect with nature. Despite Sterling’s rapid development over the past 60 years, the town still lives up to Loudoun County’s reputation as Virginia’s horse country. Algonkian Regional Park covers over 800 acres along the bank of the Potomac River and has everything from a full-service, par-72 golf course to scenic heritage trails that meander through wooded landscapes. Nature photographers, wildlife enthusiasts, and avid hikers can also check out the historic Claude Moore Park.
- Play a round of golf. Sterling is home to some of the best golf courses in Northern Virginia. For example, the renowned, membership-owned Sterling Golf Club offers an 18-hole, par-54 golf course that gives players the true PGA experience. Dulles Golf Center & Sports Park, on the other hand, provides an 18-hole miniature golf course and extra-wide tee stations that every member of the family can enjoy. You can even take pleasure in gorgeous views of the Potomac River at the Algonkian Golf Course, a popular public course for golfers of all levels.
- Have a fun, family-friendly weekend. Looking for ways to spend time with the family beyond the usual picnic at the park? Sterling has a wide range of kid-friendly activities for thrill-seekers and adventurers. During the summer, the whole family can beat the heat at the tropical paradise-themed Volcano Island Waterpark. Test your climbing, jumping, and balancing skills at Summit Ropes’ indoor obstacle course. You and the kids can even learn marksmanship at Ultimate Archery and Axes and O’s.
- Wander along Loudoun’s Wine Trail. Home to over 40 wineries and tasting rooms, Loudoun County is called DC’s Wine Country for good reason. Sterling, for its part, has numerous bars, breweries, and restaurants that make it stand out from the rest of its neighbors. Visit homegrown breweries and taprooms such as the Beltway Brewing Company, Rocket Frog, and Crooked Run Fermentation. On Davis Drive, Nectar Cocktail Bar offers a unique menu centered around cold-pressed juices, mimosas, and infused beers.
- Join community events and festivities. People move to Sterling for many reasons but many stay because of its tight-knit community. Celebrate more than 250 years of the area’s rich agricultural history during the Autumn Apple Festival in September. During this event, the Loudoun Heritage Farm Museum provides a series of special activities, such as live music, farm machinery demonstrations, moon bounces, and apple cider tasting. In October, the town holds Sterlingfest, a huge family-friendly block party that promotes local businesses, artisans, and food vendors.
- Hang out at one-of-a-kind shopping centers. Sterling offers a wide array of shopping experiences, ranging from the quaint, small-town ambiance of the Cascades Marketplace to the chic and modern vibe of Dulles Town Center. Here you can find major luxury brands, locally-owned boutiques, and everything in between.
Make Sterling, VA your new home today!
Ready to begin your home-buying journey in Sterling, VA? Take that first step towards your dream home with the Wicker Homes Group!
Under the leadership of Debbie and Tad Wicker, the Wicker Homes Group has become one of the top real estate teams in Loudoun County and the greater Washington, D.C. area.
With hyperlocal market knowledge, a highly reputable sales record, and over 30 years of real estate experience, our team can help you navigate both traditional and luxury markets to find the perfect home in Sterling.
Let our real estate expertise and sharp negotiation skills work for you! Get in touch with us – the Wicker Homes Group – by calling 571.338.3880 or sending a message here.