- Loudoun County, VA offers the ultimate wine country lifestyle with its exceptional wineries, outstanding farm-to-table-fare, magnificent views, and unforgettable winery experiences.
- From family-owned and operated wineries to world-class production areas, these incredible wineries in Loudoun County, VA bring a unique wine tasting experience for everyone.
- Winery tours, live performances, grape-stomping activities, and vinotherapy spa treatments are just some of the exciting things to expect from the wineries in Loudoun County, VA.
With its vast collection of more than 40 (and counting!) wineries and tasting rooms nestled on rolling hills and slopes overlooking sweeping vineyards, Loudoun County is an outstanding local wine destination.
The region specializes mostly in Cab Franc, Norton, Petit Verdot, and Viognier grape varietals. Wine lovers can look forward to unforgettable winery experiences such as grape stomping, barrel tastings, live performances, and even yoga classes and vinotherapy spa treatments.
Outstanding farm-to-table fare is also made possible by the region’s top-quality soil and ideal climate, providing guests with a wide variety of local cheeses and charcuterie perfect for wine pairings.
D.C.’s Wine Country
Before we head to some of the finest wineries in Loudoun County, let’s take a step back by looking at Virginia as a wine-producing state.
Although it might still be considered an emerging wine region in the U.S., Virginia is rooted in a rich history of winemaking. Just like many wine regions throughout the globe, Virginia has gone through countless peaks and valleys when it comes to wine production, from Thomas Jefferson’s unsuccessful viticulture attempts at Monticello all the way to the vibrant enotourism scene in the state today.
While Virginia has successfully produced numerous award-winning wines over the past several years, this year was particularly noteworthy for Loudoun County wineries, as the top wine awarded at the 38th Governor’s Cup Competition was the 2017 Vidal Blanc Passito from Loudoun County’s 868 Estate Vineyard.
Ready to check out some of the top wineries in Loudoun County? Without further ado, here are some of the county’s finest wine destinations:
Must-visit wineries in Loudoun County
- Stone Tower Winery – One of the largest wineries in Loudoun County, Stone Tower Winery features world-class production areas and facilities, along with breathtaking views of their vineyards near Hogback Mountain. Their sprawling patio overlooking the vineyard is the perfect spot to enjoy their top-notch wines and pizzas, especially during the spring and fall.
- The Barns at Hamilton Station – The Barns at Hamilton Station is a scenic, family-owned and operated winery nestled on a refurbished dairy farm. The winery specializes in Bordeaux French-inspired wines that are expressive of Virginia, which guests can enjoy in an elegantly restored 106-year old stone and wood barn surrounded by a breathtaking landscape.
- Walsh Family Wine – Founded by Sarah and Nate Walsh in 2014, Walsh Family Wine is one of the newest vineyards to enter the Virginia wine scene. They farm over 50 acres on five distinct sites, all located in Loudoun County. As winemakers, Walsh Family Wine strongly believes in having a sense of place, which is why their wines are crafted through methods that highlight the idiosyncrasies and strengths of their vineyards.
- Breaux Vineyards – Located on the foothills of the Blue Ridge and Short Hill Mountains, Breaux Vineyards is an estate that features 104 acres of vineyards surrounded by a picturesque slice of Virginia landscape. Their wines have won numerous prestigious awards in the national and international level, including “Best of Class” at the Los Angeles County Fair Wine Competition.
- Casanel Vineyards– The family-owned and operated Casanel Vineyards & Winery takes pride in their ability to produce wines of outstanding quality, ensuring refinement and precision during every step of the process, from bud to bottle. With help from distinguished viticulturist Lucie Morton, the team behind Casanel Vineyards developed cutting-edge organic and biodynamic practices, as well as state-of-the-art techniques used by modern vineyards from all over the world.
- Tarara Winery – Founded in 1985, Tarara Winery is one of the oldest wineries in Loudoun County, building a stellar reputation for making top-quality wines from choice Virginia grapes. Located on the foothills of the Catoctin Mountains, each bottle crafted at the winery showcases the site and the skill of the grape growers. The winery also offers select cheeses, breads, charcuterie, and other locally sourced fare to match their fine single vineyard blends.
- 868 Estate Vineyards – The winner of the 2020 Governor’s Cup treats guests to a relaxing winery experience filled with music, art, and wine. Visitors get to enjoy a tour of the winery, along with fun events like trivia nights, picnics with your pets, live performances from talented musicians, and more.
These are just a few of the many excellent wineries waiting for you in Loudoun County! For more information on Loudoun County’s wineries, be sure to visit the wine country section of the county’s official tourism website.
If you’re considering moving to Loudoun County, give us a call. We would love to consult with you and help you make Loudoun County your home. This really is a special place and our team, the Wicker Homes Group, is one of the highest selling real estate teams in Loudoun County with over 30 years of experience.
Time to live the dream in Loudoun County, VA! Call us at 571.338.3880 to find out why people who live here are Loco for LoCo!